Wednesday, March 2, 2011

One-derful

I have learned about a whole new happiness and a whole new pain in being the mother of a child who has intellectual disabilities. Because of my experiences I have grown as a person and I am proud to say that I have lost a lot of who I was in the past. (Before I go any further into this post, I need to say that the pain I am referring to is completely outweighed by the happiness that I experience on a day to day basis. I wouldn't trade this little girl or any of the things that make her who she is for anything!)

Over the last year and a half I have been told of what Vada will do and what she wont. I have been told what her diagnosis means and I have seen what others think of it. I have had many encounters with parents who have children with Down syndrome. Some are positive and hopeful people and some have been lost to the pain that is caused mainly from society and its views. I pray everyday that I wont get lost in that very pain. I thank God that he has blessed me with eyes that sees and feels her smiles and that they shine through others frowns . She is one of the most beautiful people that I have ever been able to see.

I refuse to fall and I refuse to give up. I wont quit dreaming for any of my children especially Vada who has been dealt a more difficult hand. While I will never be a person who lives through my children I will continue to have high hopes and goals for them.

I know in my heart that Vada will grow, play, learn and live like any other child and like any other child she will do it at her own pace and in her own way. She will be amazing because she already is.

She is so strong. She has taught me so much about strength. I am so grateful that God choose me to be her mother. I wouldn't change anything.

I am celebrating more today than just her birthday. I am celebrating life, hers and my new one. When I was given her prenatal diagnosis there was a definite period of grief. It lasted only a moment but has since revisited at different moments. My heart has changed in the most wonderful way and I have her presence to thank for that!

Happy Birthday beautiful baby. You are One-derful!

Show all

No comments: