Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Santa's Secret Workshop

I have been incredibly blessed to be able to be as involved in both of my daughters schooling as I have been, the same goes for their extra curricular activities-- it's an added bonus to being a stay at home mother.

Over the years I have been able to be a room mother for Jasmine and Kiliegh both, as well as a member of the PTA every year and a volunteer for numerous activities and field trips. It makes me feel good to be a part of their lives, outside of home. I want them to know that what's important to them is also important to me.

Over the past two and a half years being involved in their school, youth church programs and extra curricular activities has been very difficult for me to do. I have missed just about every program, event and opportunity to volunteer and while the reason behind me missing out was totally worth it, I have still felt badly about having to do so.

Now that Vada is healthy and past all known surgeries I have begun to feel comfortable with sharing more of my time with others. This week I am going to GiGi's Playhouse to be trained in their literacy program which is suppose to start in January. I am really excited to be able to have this opportunity. I am also a little nervous because my experience with individuals who have Down syndrome is pretty new but I look at this as a learning opportunity for me as well as the children I will be working with.

Last week I was able to volunteer for one of my personal childhood favorites. Kiliegh, my third grader, had Santa's Secret Workshop going on all week at her school. I was able to be an "elf" and wrap all of the gifts that the children choose for their loved ones. I so enjoyed talking with all of the kids and hearing who their gifts were for and why they choose them, they were so proud of their tiny purchases. It was incredibly sweet and touching.

This is Melissa. Her and her mother are the ones who deserve all of the credit for Kilieghs school having a Santas Secret Workshop. Melissa shopped all year preparing for this event and then volunteered her time everyday during the week to keep it open and running for the children. She is also my old neighbor and a friend.

This is Melissa and her mother, being Merry.

Kiliegh with my "elf" partner in crime, Maria. Maria is also an old neighbor of mine and a friend as well. It was nice chatting with her all day. we had over five years of talking to make up for!

I was also able to have lunch with Kiliegh, which was something I once did on a weekly basis. This was my first time all year.

Kiliegh and I during lunch. Its not the best photo. I took it myself with y cell and you can really tell that the cold I had was settling in my eye but it is me and my sweet girl during a fun day.
I love how I don't embarrass Kiliegh at school or with her friends, yet. Its nice and kind of refreshing. I know that it wont be long before I will become "not cool" to her and I understand that stage but that doesn't mean that I am looking forward to it!

No comments: