Thursday, October 28, 2010

An Escorted Trip to Peoria

Last night I took Vada to Trinity ER for a few different concerns.





Over all she checked out alright with the exception of having some labored breathing and a elevated heart rate. The ER doctor at Trinity was a honest doctor and said that Vada's medical condition was above what he had ever learned. He said that Trinity was unable to give her the heart evaluation that he thought she may need. So he said that he would like us to come to Peoria. The doctor said that he didn't feel comfortable having me drive her to Peoria due to her heart conditions and the difficulties that she was having so we went in an ambulance.





The drive went fine, besides the EMT calling Vada a "Down's Baby"..., lovely. I didn't correct her, I was tired and I had to ride with her for the next hour and a half. I did however emphasize in "people who have Down syndrome", verses the labeling. Its so annoying at times. I know that she probably didn't mean anything by it, but still.

Over all the night went alright. Lot's of lab work, which was pure hell. Vada is incredibly hard to draw blood from and there was talk of doing another Central Line. Good thing it was just talk!

Over all it got a bit confusing. Labs were coming back irregular and setting off all kinds of questionable "alarms" causing Vada to be moved from General Pediatrics to Critical Pediatrics. Long story short..., after several do overs, it turns out that over all her labs were just fine.

We met with the Cardiologist today and he is concerned now about Vada's heart. With her labored breathing, tachycardia and her weight gain from the Cushing's he says its time to repair her heart. It's not on an emergency basis so we are going to wait until she is done with the ACTH which is on November 11th. On November 12th we have an appointment with both the Neurologist and the Cardiologist. Vada will have a full heart exam including an ECHO that day and we will discuss the surgery and what to expect in more detail.

This coming Monday all of the Cardiologist have a meeting and during that time they will be discussing Vada. I am expecting a call from Dr. Bramlett, Vada's primary Cardiologist with a surgery date.

Currently we, (Vada and I) are still in the critical pediatric area of OSF awaiting discharge. She is being sent home on a new medication called Lasix. Its a diuretic medication used to help with fluid retention and high blood pressure. I am so grateful to be leaving so soon and with nothing more wrong than what we expected. I am very nervous about her heart and the possibility of more seizures, but I am going to be doing a lot of "self talk" and even more of prayer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thought and prayers with you, Vada and your family as you play the waiting game :( im sure with a loving support system and god in her corner she will be just fine! xoxo

Laura Whitehall

Larkinsmom said...

Thinking of you both. Hang in there sweet mommy. Good health and peace are on the way.

Annie @ The House That Jade Built said...

I send up some prayers for you & hope you get to go home very very soon!

CV said...

Sending you some prayers, Tara, for Vada and the whole family. I hope things get better soon! :)

Love and hugs,
Carol