Monday, August 22, 2011

A Late Night Call

I just got off of the phone with Vada's new Neurologist, Dr. McGill. Yes, he did call me at nine in the evening and you know what, God bless him for doing so! I am so appreciative that he called later verses making me wait until tomorrow.

We talked about what I was still seeing and about a video that got passed along to him and the head of Neurology Dr. Zempel (thanks Amy). We all agree that it all looks like Ws/IS seizures. There is a possibility that we are looking at a different type of seizure but the understanding is that it seems to be seizures and not behavioral, which was a slight concern or wonder of ours.

The plan is to increase her Valporic Acid (Depakote) slightly, I guess its already pretty high so they dont want to increase it much more until her blood levels have been established. Over this next week I will monitor her, write down what I see and when I see it and then next week I will have her labs done (here, in our town). Dr. McGill will call me with those results and we may or may not be able to play with the medications a bit more. Sometime with in the next couple of days the hospital will be calling me with a date for us to bring V back in to Saint Louis Children's where she will have another VEEG, that should be scheduled for a minimum of forty-eight hours.

Oh, and I finally received an answer on where her last Neurologist went. I had mentioned a couple of posts ago how we had received a letter from the office in Peoria, stating that her doctor, Dr. Jennings, would no longer be seeing patients and that Vada was being assigned to a new doctor. Well, Dr. Jennings took a teaching position. So, may the best come to him and his decision. I am sure that he will be a great teacher. I feel confident in the fact that Vada is being treated in the hospital and by the doctors she is meant to now see, so I truly wish Dr. Jenning's the best and I am grateful for who we now have treating our girl.


April Vernon said...

Wow. So much going on for you in such a short time. I know how hard it is to not feel stressed when you are keeping records and watching closely for things. Thinking of you. Thanks for keeping us posted. All the best.

Buddy Myers said...

Tara, This is the same thing that they are doing for little Beau Kalynn. She takes 2 Depakote capsules in the morning and 2 in the evening. She had her blood tests today and we have a follow-up in the clinic on Thursday. I feel good that the docs are at least doing the same treatment for the same clinical symptoms. I'll let you know what Dr. Zupanc says on Thursday. Good luck and take care of that little sweetheart!

- Buddy (Beau Kalynn's Dad)