Monday, May 6, 2013

'C' is for Caterpillar

I have been debating on waiting on the letter 'C' and skipping to another letter or just staying on track. We have caterpillars coming in the mail at the end of this month and this weeks lessons would be perfect for raising caterpillars into butterflies. Obviously, I have decided to just stay on track! I have also decided that if all does go well and our Milkweed plants do attract butterflies (this summer) and they do end up laying their eggs on the leaves then I may do The Hungry Caterpillar lesson all over again in the middle to the end of the summer. For now, I have decided that it is best to keep going straight through the alphabet this first time around.

Our letter of the week is letter 'C' and 'C' is for caterpillar. 

Our Memory Bible Verse is from Ephesians 6:1, Children obey your parents in the Lord; for this is right.

Letter of the Week (aka LOTW ) is a program that I purchased through Confessions of a Homeschooler.

We read from Big Thoughts...


I can not express enough, my love of this book! It is SO good! We read it everyday that we do lessons. The short stories are engaging and there is always wonderful questions about how we should behave and more importantly, how God expects us to behave. The pictures are very active and it seems as if we are always finding something new in them. Plus, most of the things that can be found in the pictures go along with the pages letter, like 'C' is for carnival, clown, cage, camel and cotton candy. 


We then moved onto one of Vada's favorite weekly activities. The Magnet page.


Today we used Power Magnets that I ordered from Amazon.




Vada also did her caterpillar lacing activity but she needs assistance with that and it is far more important to give her the attention she needs to be successful at her work than it is for me to get photos of her struggling through something. I will try to remember to get a photo of the actual lacing card later this week though. Erica, from Confessions of a Homeschooler makes some really cute stuff and I am a fan of the lacing cards, even though little Miss V. is not.

To go along with the Caterpillar theme we read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. Vada is very familiar with this book, it was the book that inspired her third birthday party!

T

One if Vada's gifts from us was this caterpillar beanie, he's going to help us with some of our lessons this week.



Next we worked on colors and food with these fun printables that I downloaded for free from 1+1+1=1.





We worked on sight word reading from the foods that the caterpillar in the book ate.


For this lesson I laid three photos in front of Vada. I then asked her which one she wanted to do. Typically she would just point to the picture that she wanted me to get the matching word for. Sometimes if she was board and feeling frisky she would use her nose and sometimes she would really surprise me and attempt to make the sound or even say the word. "Lollipop" was the word that impressed me the most. She would get the 'L' sound out there and then follow it up with a forceful "pop!". It was great and a great effort on her part. I was really proud of her work with reading today.


After Vada choose her picture we would put it into an open slot and then I would get the matching word out and show it to her, then read it to her out loud so that she could hear it and then I would place it next to its photo. At the very end when all of the slots on one side was full we would go back through the photos along with the words and then we went to the other side and continued the process. 


No comments: