Monday, November 5, 2012

The No Facebook Experiment

I have been on again/off again reading a book "7", by Jen Hatmaker. Its a good book, don't get me wrong, I just haven't made much time for reading since Vada's birth and this book hasn't been the exception.  Hence, the on again/off again. Anyway, Ive mentioned this particular book, (i'm ashamed to admit), back in September. I said then, that I was planning on following Jen's direction of eliminating areas or things in my everyday life and in an attempt to get a "taste" of what this would mean, I said good bye to Facebook for the whole month of November! 

I cant help but compare this withdraw to the symptoms of quitting smoking. Seriously, I used to smoke and I actually quit several times before finally kicking the habit and this is comparable! I don't know why I do things like this to myself. I start diets I cant (or don't) finish, exercise programs that leave me feeling like less of a person, I over commit myself and then I go and do something pointless like the no Facebook experiment. Why do I torture myself? 

It's day five and truthfully, I think that there is some importance behind giving up Facebook even if I haven't fully discovered it. I have spent so much of my time logging in and out of that site that it now says that I have visited "too many times to count" (no, not really but it should). 

In the last five days I have had so much free time that I have begun crafting again, sleeping more and my house is cleaner. Plus, and this is a big plus, I have time to exercise, so now I can become less of a person in the areas that I want to (like y butt)! I've spent more time face to face with friends as well --verses logging on to "talk" through a message. Its been nice to catch up on things around the house and the sleep has been great but I have to admit all of those other four hundred "friends" who I cyberly learn from, talk to and share life experiences with, I miss. Its weird not staying up to date on their lives, which is kind of funny because I don't really know them to begin with. 

I don't know what the next twenty-five days will bring and i'm not even for sure if I am looking forward to finding out but whatever it may be, it''ll be nice to say that I finished something that I set out to do!

No comments: