Sunday, January 8, 2012

On the Night You Were Born

Yesterday Vada and I went to Barns and Noble, actually, we went to the mall and then because it's located inside of the mall (and also because of our love of books) we had to stop in. We read all kinds of books and Vada did some exploring of the children's section, while capturing the attention (and hearts, I'm sure) of many. We left the store with one new book, On the Night You Were Born, by Nancy Tillman. Have you read it? We have a lot of books like this one, books that give me the goosebumps when I read them to my girls, because they come close to putting into words just how much I love them. This one however, is one of my all time favorites, now. Let me tell you why...

Photobucket


Last night was a long night for me, Vada too. We didn't get a whole lot of sleep because Vada kept waking up. She doesn't have a fever and she has no signs that she is sick but over the last week and a half she has cut two of her two year molars and she now has two of her front bottom teeth cutting through. I think that has a lot to do with my lack of sleep and her restlessness. Anyway, I woke up this morning and Vada and I headed over to a friend of ours dry cleaning business. On the weekends Justin usually goes over and cleans for them but today he had to work and last night we went to the movies and didn't get home until late, so I did it for him. By the time I finished I had about an hour left until our second service at Church started. I still needed to clean up and change so Vada and I went home. By the time we got here I just wanted to get into my "comfy clothes" and take a nap. I was seriously contemplating doing so when I caught Vada playing with the book that we had bought the day before. I sat down and watched her while she turned the pages and babbled out loud, as if she were actually reading to me. I took a couple of pictures because I thought it was so cute and after a couple of minutes Vada closed the book and handed the book to me.

Everyday at Vada's nap times and then at her bed time we have been reading different versions of Children's Bibles. As I was holding onto the book that she handed me I thought of those stories and I knew that I needed to get off of my butt, get dressed and go to church and I did.


Photobucket


One of our Elders gave the sermon today. He started out by reciting a poem that sounded very familiar to me. I listened to be sure and then once he had finished I leaned forward to my friend sitting in the pew ahead of me and said "How crazy is it that I just bought that book?" This was the poem from the book that I had just bought, the one that reminded me of my love for my children. It was the same book that reminded me of Jesus' love for all of His children and it for whatever reason it had made its way to our church sermon. It felt as if Jesus himself were thanking me for coming today and I knew that I was right where I was suppose to be.


I never did take a nap today. Instead I came home and played with Vada and then cleaned while she was napping. All day I had a warmth in my heart and a smile on my face. And now this book holds a special meaning to me that no amount of words could express...

Some people believe that things are coincidental but that's just not me. I believe that God "speaks" to us in different ways and that if we slow down and pay attention we might just "hear" what He is trying to tell us. Its funny how His messages reach us and that today his came to from a children's book.

Photobucket


On the night you were born,
the moon smiled with such wonder
that the stars peeked in to see you
and the night wind whispered,
"Life will never be the same."

Because there had never been anyone like you...
ever in the world.

So enchanted with you were the wind and the rain 
that they whispered the sound of your wonderful name.

The sound of your name is a magical one.
Let's say it out loud before we go on.

It sailed through the farmland
high on the breeze...

Over the ocean...

And through the trees...

Until everyone heard it
and everyone knew
of the one and only ever you.

Not once had there been such eyes,
such a nose,
such silly, wiggly, wonderful toes.

In fact I think I'll count to three
so you can wiggle you toes for me.

When the polar bears heard, 
they danced until dawn.

From faraway places,
the geese flew home. 

The moon stayed up until
morning next day.

And none of the ladybugs flew away.

So whenever you doubt just how special you are
and wonder who loves you, how much and how far,
listen for the geese honking high in the sky.
(They're singing a song to remember you by.)

Or notice the bears asleep in the zoo.
(It's because they've been dancing all night for you!)

Or drift off to sleep to the sound of the wind.
(Listen closely... it's whispering your name again!)

If the moon stays up until morning one day,
or a ladybug lands and decides to stay,
or a little bird sits at your window awhile,
it's because they're hoping to see you smile...

For never before in a story or rhyme
(not even once upon a time)
has the world ever known a you, my friend,
and it never will, not ever again...


Photobucket

Heaven blew every trumpet 
and played every horn
on the wonderful, marvelous 
night you were born.


On the Night You Were Born
By: Nancy Tillman

1 comment:

Heidi Ehle said...

I love this book! Liddy has a saying that was bought by my mom for her shortly after we found out that I was pregnant. It says (above her crib that she doesn't sleep in lol) "Angels danced on the day that you were born."
Liddy is my miracle. She was a miraculous creation before we knew about her heart, or had ever heard the words Down Syndrome. Everything that we have been through in the last year just makes it that much clearer that she is, indeed, a miracle child and I firmly believe that not only did the angels dance on the day that she was born, but God Himself did as well. :)